The Social Housing Subsidies are not given to tenants, but to the Socila Housing Institute(SHI) that constructs and manages social housing (hence the name Institutional Subsidy).
To qualify for social housing opportunities:
- You must be a South African citizen;
- Gross household earning must be between R1 500 and R15 000 per month;
- You must not own or have owned property before;
- You must not have received government subsidy before; and
- You must be 21 years of age or older, be married, cohabiting, or have dependents. Providing high quality and secure homes at affordable rentals would be impossible without Government financial assistance in the form of the Social Housing Subsidy, Capital Restructuring Grant and loan from the Human Settlements Development Bank